Frequently Asked Questions
What is Wireless Internet Connection?
Are there any health or safety concerns with the wireless signal?
This method of Internet connectivity is accomplished using low power radios to transfer the digital data over the airwaves, instead of copper / telephone wired technologies. This technology is fast becoming the standard in providing service to areas currently not served by conventional methods.
How soon can I get the RWSPL service installed?
No. The technology used by Royal Broadband operates at very low power levels, similar to a cordless phone.
How do I find out what speeds I am receiving for my Internet connection?
We will schedule a time that is convenient for you within 48 hours of hearing from you. The installation generally takes around 60 minutes.
What is a power cycle, and how do I know when I should perform one?
Navigate to www.speedtest.net
and run speed test to Agra or New Delhi server. Please keep in mind; these are public websites in which users are testing to on a consistent basis which can/will cause results to be lower than what you are actually receiving. They are meant to give you a rough idea of what your connection is capable of. Clearing browser data and restarting the browser will help improve your speed results. Also, the performance of your computer can play a factor on speeds as well. It is ideally to try to keep CPU usage as low as possible, which can be monitored in Windows Task Manager or Mac Activity Monitor.
What is a fiber Internet connection?
A power cycle is a procedure performed by unplugging the power on the modem/router, for approximately 20-30 seconds, in attempt to reconnect or retrain the connection to the host and the network.
Can I use Virtual Private Networking (VPN) with a fiber Internet connection?
A fiber Internet connection, sometimes referred to as FTTH, FTTP, or FTTX, is the use of fiber optic cabling to send and receive Internet signals between RWSPL and the home using light, which allows your Internet connections to travel literally at the speed of light. This provides a super reliable connection with a nearly unlimited capacity for future growth.
Why isn't my VPN working?
Yes. RWSPL does not block this feature.
Can I use my own wireless router with the RWSPL connection?
Verify the Host Server address is correct as well as the Host Username and Password. This information will need to be obtained by your employer or your employers IT Department. If you connect through a router, there may be settings that are not configured properly to support a VPN connection.
How do I connect my wireless router, and what settings do I need to configure to the router when using the RWSPL fiber Internet connection?
Yes. Although, RWSPL will be unable to help support 3rd Party products (i.e., Linksys, Belkin, D-Link, etc.). If you are confronted with any technical issue with your router that is preventing Internet connection, please consult with your router manufacturer’s technical support for troubleshooting once confirming there is Internet connection from the RWSPL modem or wall jack.
What hardware is provided, and installed by RWSPL?
You will need to run a CAT5e grade Ethernet cable from the wall jack, or Ethernet Port 1 of the RWSPL provided fiber modem to the WAN/Internet port of the wireless router. The router will need to be configured with a DHCP/Dynamic Internet type, which most make/model wireless routers are already set to out of the box. Though it is not a requirement for your service to work, for security reasons we highly recommend configuring WPA2 Encryption to secure your home wireless network.
Am I able to have a Static IP Address on the RWSPL fiber connection?
A RWSPL managed fiber modem is installed in single family homes. For multiple dwelling units, such as apartments and duplexes, an Ethernet wall jack is installed in the unit by RWSPL or by building management.An optional RWSPL provided wireless router can be used or your own current wireless router may be used. If you use your own wireless router, be aware that there is a possibility it will not be able to handle the higher speed service plans, especially if it is more than a couple of years old. The RWSPL provided wireless routers all are capable of performing up to the 1 Gbps (1000 Mbps) speed service plan.
What is wireless interference, and am I subject to it on a RWSPL fiber connection?
Yes. Static IP Address assignments, for Business class service only, are available upon request with your Sales representative, or RWSPL Customer Service.
Can I use XBox Live or Stream Gaming networks with RWSPL fiber connection?
Wireless interference is caused by radios on the same frequency, and some electronic devices which can cause speed and connectivity issues between a wireless connected device and the wireless access point it is connecting to. Below is a list of known Radio and Physical interferences. It is recommended to make sure such devices are approximately 10-12 feet away from the transmitting access point.
RFI (Radio Frequency Interference and EMI (Electromagnetic Interference):
- Microwave Oven
- 2.4GHz video or wireless security systems
- Wireless printers
- Home automation devices
- Bluetooth devices (mouse, phone, PDA, headset, cell phone, etc.)
- Cordless phones
- Wireless Video Camera’s
- Wireless computer accessories (mice, keyboards, Xbox360 controllers, PS3 controllers, other wireless game controllers, etc.)
- Fluorescent lighting
- 2.4GHz wireless baby monitor
- 2.4GHz ham radio operation
- WISP (wireless internet service providers) which may be using non-Wi-Fi type of modulation (e.g. WiMAX)
- Poor electrical wiring and connections. This can emit RF all over the spectrum – not just within 2.4
Why does my device keep disconnecting from my wireless network?
Yes. Although, port forwarding from a router to the game console may be necessary if the NAT option in your router isn’t working properly.
Why do my speed test results not reflect the speeds RWSPL has advertised when directly connected?
Your wireless signal to the access point may be too weak to hold the connection, wireless interference may be affecting your connection to the access point, or your battery is dying and your device is shutting down adapters to preserve battery life.
What are the recommended minimum computer requirements?
There are a lot of variables that can influence a speedtest result, especially at the higher speeds above 100 mbps.
- Speedtest servers become more and more unreliable at the higher speeds in general.
- The speedtest servers, including RWSPL’s, are public and used by many people on our network and across the Internet at the same time all day long
- Operating Systems (Windows, Mac OSX, etc) all have various network performance tuning options that can significantly impact network throughput.
- Customer network cards and chipsets may also be insufficient to actually send and receive above a certain level of traffic as well.
- Customer network drivers may also be old and need updating
- When using a wireless connected laptop, tablet, or other mobile device to perform speed tests, it is very difficult to achieve the full bandwidth capacity due to the nature and limitations of wireless technology. Make sure you are using a network cable connected laptop or desktop computer to perform speed tests.
- Having a browser with old version that is not up to date could also be the cause of poor performance on a speed test. Make sure that the browser you are using to run the speed test is up to date.
How do I optimize my NAT status for gaming?
- 1 Ghz CPU speed or higher with multi CPU or multi core.
- 1 GB of RAM Memory or more.
- 1 gigabit network card built in (as opposed to a USB network card).
- 500 MB of open hard drive storage.
- Web browser version that is not older than 2 years.
When you test on an Xbox it will say something like Strict NAT, Moderate NAT, or Open NAT. Ideally one would want to have an Open NAT type. NAT is a router function where it translates the public IP address we give them, into a private IP address the router hands out. If NAT were not enabled and they have a private IP address issued by a router, they would not be able to get online. What you might say is, “Make sure UPnP is enabled. If you still have a strict or moderate NAT type, you will need to apply port forwarding rules from the router to the gaming console.